Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Discovering the origin of a Dulaney tradition

1966 Dulaney High School Heritage Yearbook

Every year members of the Dulaney High School (DHS) graduating class attend the senior barbeque to paint the Dulaney Rock with their class colors. This tradition has existed almost since the opening of the school in 1962.

In 1965, DHS students returned from summer break to find the unpainted rock formation outside covered in graffiti of Towson High School’s maroon and white colors. The rocks were quickly repainted white by the janitorial staff, but the memory of the prank remained throughout the school. 

Shortly after, the senior class council held its first meeting.

“The subject of the rocks came up and for some reason, the idea struck me. Well, we have a senior picnic coming up in a few weeks. Why don’t we get permission to have the seniors paint the rocks in our class colors?” says DHS class of 1966 alumni Alan Spoler. 

The idea was soon approved by the principal and on Sept. 25, 1965 the seniors put their mark in the school’s history becoming the first senior class to paint the rocks.

At their senior barbecue, the class of 1966 painted the rocks in their class colors of black and gold and drew paw prints on the rocks to honor their class mascot, the panther.

The tradition of painting the rocks didn’t stop with the class of 66 or 67. 

“We thought that this might have some legs as a tradition, but I don’t think anyone thought it would go on in perpetuity as it has,” says Spoler.

Nearly 60 years later the tradition–that is a core part of every senior’s experience–is still going strong.

“[The rocks are] in some ways sort of symbolic of Dulaney…The tradition should be preserved because starting your senior year off. It’s a big deal. Kids work for their senior year and that’s when all sorts of things are going to happen and all sorts of changes are going to occur…It’s a chance to bring everyone together. Because they say you’re not going to be together that many more times” says Spoler.