Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Mock Trial moves one step closer to national competition

Gabby Lieu

Following a win for Mock Trial’s defense, the team is qualified to compete in playoffs at the regional level on Feb 8 at Towson Circuit Court.

Mock Trial allows students to develop their critical thinking and public speaking skills as they take on the role of a lawyer, witness, or bailiff and engage in trial simulations. The team that receives the most points wins. Points are awarded for demonstrating good court etiquette, understanding of the case, responses and the quality of the questions asked. 

Freshman Krystal Thapa has taken on the position of witness during her first year as a Mock Trial member. Through the club, Thapa has met new people and improved her public speaking skills.

“I’m really happy that we qualified. I hope we get to make it far, either way, I’m glad that we got the chance,” says Thapa.

Senior Aaron Natividad joined Mock Trial this year after seeing the president of the club announce the role of bailiff. During trials, Natividad calls the court in session, swears in witnesses, moves elements around in the courtroom and keeps time with timecards. 

“My hope is to take the team to DC. I think it’d be really cool to see our prosecution and defense play in the nationals. Our team has come a long way and worked many hours on our scripts and characters and I think we have a shot,” expresses Natividad. 

President Deepika Pun joined Mock Trial her freshman year during COVID. Pun was in search of something new and currently holds the roles of defense attorney and witness as a senior. 

“Mock Trial is a great club and honestly I love it so much. I think many people reduce it to a nerd club, but I think there are so many benefits of joining. I hope anyone who is interested will stop by a meeting or trial one day and just see what it’s like,” says Pun.