January 2024: What are you reading?

Nayeli Portillo

Dulaney High School (DHS) staff and students share what books they are currently reading.

Hayley Stewart

By, Hayley Stewart

Junior Hayley Stewart is reading the second book of the Good Girl’s Guide to Murder series, Good Girl Bad Blood, by Holly Jackson. She loves that she has been able to utilize it for a school project. Stewart is looking forward to this book to answer lingering questions she had from her previous read in the series.

“The book I’m currently reading follows the main character, a Highschool girl, Pippa Fitz-Amobi, who thought she was done being a detective but is soon pulled back into the addicting realm of unsolved crime as she uncovers more secrets about her seemingly perfect town,” says Stewart.

Cami Blum

By, Cami Blum

Senior Cami Blum is currently reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Blum mentions that her goal is to read one to two chapters a day and tackle two books a month this year. 

“The Hunger Games has always been a series I’ve wanted to read and I absolutely love the movies. It’s essentially about a group of tributes who are chosen at random to fight to their deaths in an arena until only one remains,” says Blum.

Joyce Martinez

By, Nayeli Portillo

Junior Joyce Martinez is reading Franny and Zooey  by J.D. Salinger. Martinez can be found reading at work, especially on slow days. Her current read was influenced by her appreciation for Catcher in the Rye, a book she read for English class.

“I really like the way it was written, so I was searching for more J.D. Salinger books and I found Franny and Zooey. It’s really interesting,” says Martinez. 

“Franny and Zooey is about a family…all the children used to be super smart and were on this game show called It’s a Wise Child. There was a lot of sibling rivalry and some siblings were smarter than others…they sort of lost touch with each other until Franny became sick and confused about her life,” says Martinez. 

Martinez adds that the Franny and Zooey inspired movie she watched, “The Royal Tenenbaums,” is why she wanted to read the book. 

Dylan Steiner

By, Nayeli Portillo

11th grade English teacher, Dylan Steiner, is currently reading Circe by Madeline Miller. Steiner is tracking his reading progress with his Goodreads account and has a goal of reading 24 books in 2024. His current read tells the story of Circe, a witch goddess in ancient Greek mythology, and how she navigates life in a world dominated by men and her own loneliness. 

“It’s a really good book. I’ve been doing a lot more audiobooks this year since I have a baby so it’s easier for me to listen and do stuff,” says Mr. Steiner.

Cassandra Hatter

By, Nayeli Portillo

9th grade English teacher Cassandra Hatter is reading Tender is the Flesh by Augustina Bazterrica. This year, Hatter is trying to read more nonfiction books and steer away from her habit of rereading books she’s already familiar with. Nonetheless, horror remains her favorite genre to read.

Hatter says, “The book takes place in the future in the U.S. after a disease has wiped out all livestock, so there’s no more chickens or cows or pigs for people to eat, but people still need protein, so where are they going to get the protein from? They’re getting it from other people.”