Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Musician to watch: Julia Li

Julia Li

Junior Julia Li is an integral part of Dulaney’s orchestra program. She has won multiple instrumental music competitions for her skills as a violinist and participates in regional and state-wide music programs.

Li is a third-year violinist in Dulaney’s chamber orchestra. She has been playing the violin since she was five years old, inspired by her aunt, who is also a violinist. She notes that while her mother encouraged her interest in music, the choice to pursue the violin was entirely hers.

“Even though my mom asked me if I wanted to play violin, she never did really do anything with music…I found inspiration in listening to other people play, and I went to a lot of concerts,” Li said.

Outside of school, Li has been a member of the Baltimore Symphony Youth Orchestra for almost eight years. As a freshman, she performed with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra (BSO) in their 2021 Winter Wonderland Concert, playing “Winter,” from Antonio Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons.” Li will perform with the BSO again at their annual Baltimore County public schools Side-by-Side concert on Friday, April 16, following her recent victory in the 2024 BSO Side-by-Side Concerto Competition.

In addition to Li’s work under conductor Barry Chesky in Dulaney’s chamber orchestra, she was a student in Chesky’s AP Music Theory course in her sophomore year. Chesky commends Li’s contributions to Dulaney’s music programs.

“Currently this year she is serving as concertmistress, which is kind of like [the] section leader of the group. It’s the principal violin of the whole ensemble,” Cheksy said.

Chesky also noted Li’s position as concertmistress of the Maryland All State Junior Orchestra as a freshman and her current participation in the All State Senior Orchestra. 

To Li, the most rewarding part of instrumental music is performances.

“I really like connecting with people, like the audience, but also like connecting with other people that are playing alongside me,” Li said.

Li enjoys sharing her music with those around her, including her younger sister, who was inspired to play violin because of Li.