Revered varsity basketball coach retires

Matthew Lochte

Dulaney High School (DHS) Varsity basketball coach, Matthew Lochte, retires from coaching after nearly 25 years. Lochte has been an essential member of the basketball program since 1999.

Lochte has always been passionate about basketball. He played during high school and became a coach to inspire other players the way his own high school coach inspired him. He went from being an assistant coach at Dulaney to a head coach in 2004. Lochte’s optimism and devotion helped the team achieve countless victories.

I think when you put your heart and soul into something the wins will take care of themselves and we won a lot. But it was not about that and I think it was about celebrating others’ success and kind of living with that thought in mind,” said Lochte. 

Lochte not only learned about the game of basketball, but also about the game of life.  He is a confident individual who has taught his students to not only be better players, but also better people.

“He always finds a way to incorporate his love for basketball into his every day and that is something I admire,” said player Travin Lane.

Though Lochte is leaving Dulaney’s basketball program, he will continue to support the players and the sport from his position as physical education department chair. He hopes the program that he helped build and the impact he has had on people’s lives will be long lasting.