Seasonal depression affects Dulaney students

Natasha Aragon

Many Dulaney High School (DHS) students are reportedly stressed and low-spirited as the second marking period continues into the winter season.

Like that of mental illnesses, the definition of seasonal depression can be unclear. According to Mayo Clinic, seasonal depression is a form of depression that is subject to the change in season. People most commonly experience symptoms during fall and winter, but it is not limited to these two seasons; some may experience similar symptoms during spring and summer months.  

Senior Mei Mei Barna notes how seasonal depression has an impact on her home life.

“I don’t typically experience seasonal depression, but my family has and I think it’s definitely affected the communication in the family,” said Barna.

Senior Mariana Rosenstiel reports struggling in a more personal sense during these winter months. 

“Whenever I get home now, I always want to go to sleep almost right away. I also feel way more tired, despite getting more sleep and have been losing motivation,” said Rosenstiel.  

Although not always extreme, seasonal depression can have smaller symptoms that escalate into setbacks. Mayo Clinic suggests implementing certain helpful habits that may help reduce these symptoms into a daily routine. People typically feel overwhelmed and less energetic in the winter, so setting realistic goals and breaking large tasks into small increments may make them more attainable. Eating balanced meals can aid one’s brain chemistry and provide energy. Being patient and focusing on positives can help replace negative thinking and allow room for improvement.

Although students should be wary of seasonal depression self-diagnosis, implementing these lifestyle changes and self care habits can be beneficial to any student, especially during the fall and winter seasons.