Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

January holidays ease post-winter-break lull

Nolan Kahalas

Following winter break, many students dread returning to a seemingly uninterrupted period of school until spring break. However, there are various holidays to celebrate and learn about in January to break the pressure of the academic season.

Jan. 12. is National “Stick to Your New Year’s Resolution Day.”

The concept of making–and subsequently breaking–New Year’s Resolutions to better oneself in some way has often been seen as a tradition not taken seriously. For those who wish to actually keep their resolutions this holiday can offer a benchmark to see how things are going after two weeks. 

Jan. 15. is Martin Luther King Junior Day.

This official national holiday honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his work to end racial segregation in America. Following his assassination, a petition began to immortalize him by turning his birthday into a nationally recognized holiday. The legislation was passed in 1983 which made the third Monday in Jan. a national holiday. As such, Baltimore County Public Schools (BCPS) will be closed.

Jan. 19. is New Friends Day.

This day encourages people to go out and meet new people. Learning about someone else is a great way to expand one’s ideas and perspective on life. Coincidentally, BCPS schools close three hours early on this day for the end of marking period two.

Jan. 21. is National Hugging Day.

Hugging is a great way to express care and appreciation for someone. This holiday situated in the bleak end of January brings to light the importance of hugging in a time when people may find their spirits low.

Jan. 24. is National Compliment Day.

Compliments are a great way to instill confidence or pride in a person. Use this day as a reminder to tell friends, family and even strangers why they are amazing.

Jan. 27. is International Holocaust Remembrance Day.

On this day 79 years ago, the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp was liberated. This holiday serves to make sure all remember the horrible events that Jewish people and other German captives faced during the Holocaust.

Jan. 31. is National Hot Chocolate Day.

After an exhausting month filled to the brim with unique holidays, sit back and relax with a mug of hot chocolate.

Despite a coursework-heavy January, the possibility of inclement weather bringing an unexpected day off would be a reason to celebrate.