Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Musician to watch: Emily Kim

Emily Kim

Junior Emily Kim is a flutist and piccoloist in Dulaney High School’s (DHS) instrumental music program, involved in multiple concert band ensembles, Tri-M and the Dulaney Lions Roar! Marching Band.

Kim has been an avid participant in DHS’s instrumental music program since her freshman year and played the flute since elementary school. She jokingly admits that she took up the piccolo in her sophomore year due to peer pressure.

“It sounded pretty, and everyone else was doing it,” said Kim.

Although she was a member of Dulaney’s GT Wind Ensemble as a sophomore, Kim dropped to Honors due to scheduling conflicts in her junior year. Despite not being enrolled in the GT course, Kim performed with both the GT and Honors Wind Ensembles at the fall and winter band concerts.

Kim’s passion for music further shines through her membership in both the Dulaney Lions Roar! Marching Band and Tri-M Music Honor Society. She was also selected for the Baltimore County Public Schools All-County Honors Band. 

Kim believes that the most rewarding part of her experiences with music has been performances.

“All your hard work culminating into one final thing is great,” said Kim.

Instrumental music teacher Christina Donall works with Kim in Tri-M, the Honors Wind Ensemble and Dulaney’s marching band. She notes Kim’s undeniable musical talent and willingness to help during rehearsal. 

“If I ever need her to run a section, or to take over if I have to run back to my office for something, she’s there,” said Donall, “or if I need her to cover a part for concert band, she can do it.”

Donall also emphasizes the impact that Kim’s initiative has had on the growth of Tri-M after its membership dropped this school year.

“Her natural leadership ability is helping the chapter grow,” said Donall.

Anticipating her senior year, Kim plans to continue her enthusiastic involvement in Dulaney’s instrumental music program.