What to know before taking the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration driving test

Melissa Coady

Passing the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) driving test is difficult without preparation and guidance. Students Christina Neimiller and Scarlett Krafft provide their tips for upcoming test-takers.

According to a 2019 study from Siegfried and Jensen Law Firm, Maryland is ranked third most difficult state to obtain a driver’s license. Although these results may intimidate anticipating drivers, passing the MVA driver’s test is achievable through proper preparation.

The test consists of a pre-trip inspection, a closed course section and a public road section. 

A driving instructor will first instruct the driver to test their left and right signals, hazards, windshield wipers and headlights. The instructor then enters the car and the driver navigates into the closed course to back into a parking space surrounded by cones. The driver has three minutes to successfully back into the spot without hitting any cones.  The driver then exits the closed course. It is crucial to remember to stop at every stop sign and be mindful of all curbs.

Upon entering the public road section of the test, the driver must listen to the instructor’s directions. Directions may consist of left and right turns, lane changes, roundabouts, etc. Stay calm, drive cautiously and ask questions if necessary.

Dulaney High School juniors Christina Neimiller and Scarlett Krafft share tips that benefited them when they took their driving test.

“I would say to really make sure that you listen to the instructor’s directions exactly and stop completely at all stop signs before the line…then you should be good,” said Neimiller.

“I’ve known several people that have failed from not stopping for stop signs or following the speed limit in the closed portion. Don’t forget to turn on your blinker when parking during the test,” said Krafft.

With guidance and tips from experienced peers, another great way to prepare for the test is to hit the road. Practicing backing into parking spots can be done at local parking lots and accessible driveways. Students can also visit the various Maryland MVA course locations, such as Bel Air, Essex, and Owings Mills.