Dulaney’s Claire Marie club takes action in the fight against adolescent melanoma

Summer Trivett

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) Claire Marie club advocates for melanoma awareness in young adults. Claire Marie president Elizabeth Haffner shares how the club intends to fulfill its mission.

The Claire Marie Foundation was founded in 2014 after 17-year-old Claire Marie died of adolescent melanoma, a skin cancer that is caused by developed melanocytes growing uncontrollably. Her parents, distraught over the tragedy, created the non-profit organization to raise awareness of melanoma in adolescents. 

Led by senior Summer Trivett and junior Elizabeth Haffner, DHS’s branch of the Claire Marie club meets the first Thursday of every month at 7:15 a.m. in room 300. The club designs posters to emphasize protecting skin from the sun, the cruciality of understanding skin cancer as a high school student and the rarity of melanoma. Club members also attend DHS sports games to engage with students outside of meetings.

“My favorite part about Claire Marie club is that we get to educate students on something that they don’t regularly think much about…most kids don’t usually think about skin cancer,” said Haffner.

DHS Claire Marie continues to value education and works to change every student’s outlook on proper skincare.