Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

The Sequel opens submissions to creative writing competition

The Sequel is Dulaney High School’s (DHS) student published creative arts magazine. The magazine is currently hosting a competition with the theme of “Adventure Awaits,” where students at DHS can submit their art–both visual and literary–to be part of the final product.

The Sequel is developed in an advanced creative writing class during the school year. The class itself is a mix of writing and art-based assignments and critiquing submissions for their competition. To join this class, students must submit a portfolio of their literary or art pieces.

Meekah Hopkins, the class literary advisor, hopes to “…cultivate and showcase all the creativity in the building. You get to see a side of Dulaney that I think is underrated compared to sports…it’s nice to give them a platform and have a place for them to be celebrated in the magazine,” says Hopkins. 

The Sequel’s current writing editors are Kiera Nelson and Emerald Xu, alongside art editor Sunny Shen.

“As art editor, I help guide workshops which are groups where we give each other feedback on our work, suggest things such as contests for the class to do, lead or streamline idea discussions, and give advice on projects, contests and other things we do,” says Shen.

The Sequel opened its creative contest in November. The competition begins with a broad theme and prompt chosen by Sequel staff. The competition accepts a wide range of submission types-including sheet music. There is a 1500-max word count for writing pieces for publication. The contest ends in January to give students as much time as needed to submit. 

Pieces remain anonymous while being evaluated; however, if chosen for the magazine, names are required to go along the pieces. Each staff section creates a rubric for submissions and decides the winners and runner-ups. Winners will be announced by the beginning of February. Those who win are contacted for more information on their creation process and notes as a feature. 

If interested in submitting a piece, Sequel posters with a QR code are available around DHS’ Art and English classrooms, or stop by room 300 to find the grand X on the window with a QR code.