Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Dulaney’s One Love club informs students on how to maintain healthy relationships

Roxanne Hays

Dulaney High School’s (DHS) One Love club advocates for healthy relationships and signs of abuse, in memory of domestic abuse victim Yeardley Love.

The One Love organization was founded to commemorate University of Virginia (UVA) student Yeardley Love. Love was murdered by her ex-boyfriend in her UVA dorm room in May of 2010. After her death, Love’s family formed One Love to prevent tragedies like hers.

Led by seniors Alyssa Alvarez and Megan Puente, juniors Jacob Murray and Elise Lange and sophomores Sarah Crowley and Ellie Leone, DHS One Love club meets every other Friday at 7:15 a.m. in the library.

“My favorite activity is our escalation workshop we hold every two years. Eleventh and twelfth grade students, during their English classes, watch a fictional video displaying the situation Yeardley Love was in…Then, club leaders lead debrief discussions in classrooms with the students,” said Alvarez.

DHS One Love also sponsors sports games, hosts guest speakers from help centers and creates belonging bags for domestic abuse victims. The club encourages all students to attend One Love meetings to educate themselves on how to build relationships and have healthy communication among their peers.