Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Seniors burdened by expenses of final year

Katherine Schutzman

Although it is still early in the school year, seniors have already spent a significant amount of money paying for college applications, class activities and other expenses.

Scheduling for senior portraits opened in August, giving students the option of a free standard yearbook picture or purchasing one of many packages, offering more additional outfits and poses for an additional $20 to $50. Pictures were available for students to view on the Prestige Portraits website within three weeks, and many were shocked by prices for photo packages ranging from $177 for the ‘Intro’ package to $555 for the ‘Perfect Package,’ which is customizable. Individual products can also be purchased. The least expensive are wallet-size portraits, which are advertised ‘as low as $27,’ but are no less than $46 if purchased a la carte, and can only be purchased in multiples of eight. Even digital images are priced at $419 per picture, taking up to three weeks to receive by email.

Shortly after the school year began, many seniors paid $20 to attend the senior barbecue. Brian Velten, co-advisor for the senior class, notes that while the barbecue is the most successful senior fundraiser, modifications can be made for students undergoing financial hardships.

“When it comes down to it, we’d rather you have the memory than be worried about the financial burden,” Velten said.

In mid-October, Dulaney homecoming dance tickets became available at $20 per ticket in the first week of sales. Seniors were eligible to purchase tickets the second week of ticket sales when the prices per ticket rose to $25 and quickly sold out.

Many seniors begin submitting college applications in early October, especially those applying Early Decision I or Early Action. While select colleges and universities do not require an application fee, most schools in the U.S. do. According to a survey by U.S. News & World Report, the average application fee is $78 per school. 

Dulaney High School counseling department chair John Komosa notes that, while students may apply to an average of 6 to 8 schools, eligible families can use the Universal Fee Waiver to cover their students’ applications.

“It’s generally need-based…there is a place in the Common Application where you can request that, and then it’s just a verification from the counselor,” Komosa said.

College applications also involve standardized testing for non-test optional students. Baltimore County Public Schools offers an in-school SAT for juniors, but if students wish to retake the test, they must pay the registration fees, which sit at $55 for each SAT and $68 for each ACT. Furthermore, sending official score reports carries an additional cost of $12 per SAT and $18.50 per ACT. However, eligible students may receive fee waivers. The College Board also offers SAT-takers the opportunity to send four free score reports, but only for nine days after the test, which is before one’s official score is received.

Calculating the cost of senior year thus far, many seniors may have spent somewhere between $600 to $1300.