Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Behind the scenes of Technical Theater

A brand-new course at Dulaney High School (DHS), the Technical Theater class employs hands-on learning to teach students all the behind-the-scenes components that go into a professional theater production. The course is taught by Matthew Lovett, who covers sound production, costume making, set construction, lighting and more. Although theater production is a significant part of the curriculum, students are responsible for preparing all school events in the auditorium, not just theater. 

“We’re responsible for any event in the auditorium. Last class, we set up the audio for the chorus concert that’s going to take place,” says Lovett.

Currently, the Technical Theater course has two levels: Technical Theater 1 and Technical Theater 2.  Technical Theater 1 is offered with Technical Theater 2 which is available next year for returning students. Due to the class’ engaging teaching style and wide range of topics, 15 students were motivated to sign up this year, including juniors Tem Teneza and Andrew Polite. 

“I’ve done a few shows, and I took the theater class freshman year. I like theater, but I’m not an actor, so naturally, I joined tech,” says Teneza.

Additionally, the class allows students to get in on the behind-the-scenes action without the after-school commitment.

“Technical theater gave me a way to learn the skills but still have time to do other things after school,” says Polite.

The Technical Theater course at DHS is unique because it allows students to explore their favorite niche skill—almost like a specialty. These can range anywhere from costumes and set building to lighting and sound. For instance, Polite focuses heavily on sound, while Teneza prefers working with costumes.

“There are definitely people that stick to their own thing. In the class, I’m kind of like the main costume person,” said Teneza.

As far as academic difficulty, both students agree that as long as you are participating and enjoying the content, you will be successful in the class. With minimal tests, homework and general graded assignments, the class is not academically stressful.

“If you’re interested in it, take the class—it’s not homework heavy, just very, ‘Hey, let’s come in. Let’s make this performance as professional as we can,’” said Lovett.

Technical Theater is for people who are truly passionate about the subject; if you enjoy working with lighting, sound boards, props, set construction and more, Lovett, Teneza and Polite strongly recommend signing up.