Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Dulaney students benefit from learning world languages

Ashlyn Hoffmann

The Language Department at Dulaney High School (DHS) offers four languages and requires students to take at least two years of one language. John Komosa, the College and Career Readiness counselor, discusses the benefits of learning a world language and how it prepares students for college and career paths.

DHS students must take at least two years of a language in order to graduate. Some students continue with that language for another year or two, switch to another language or leave their world language days behind them. Although two years is the Dulaney graduation requirement, most colleges also require students to have these two years of world language on their transcript and more competitive colleges want to see three or four years. 

“Colleges do not have a preference on what language you choose to learn in high school, but they prefer that you go in depth in one, rather than touching on many different ones,” said Komosa.

Learning a world language provides many academic benefits in preparing for higher education, but they have also proven to enhance comprehension skills, memory and studying tips for students, according to a study by the University of North Georgia. 

World languages also give students insight to other cultures and the chance to diversify their social circle; whether they travel abroad where that language is prominent, or they know somebody who only speaks that language.

Dulaney offers Spanish, French, Latin and Chinese, mainly ranging from standard at level one to Advanced Placement at level six. In all four languages students get the chance to study the language and learn about the culture and history behind its origin. 

More articles focusing on the benefits and details of learning world languages offered at DHS along with insight from teachers and students will be published in upcoming weeks.