Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

Employers search candidates’ social media presence when hiring

Beth Hartshorn

In recent years, employers have begun looking deeper into a candidate’s social background as part of the hiring process.

As high school students, it can be exciting to get a job, especially for the first time, but when applying there are many things to be wary of. According to Weisburg Cummings Employment Law Attorneys, almost any company can track down almost any public-even if it appears to be hidden.

Social media gives companies the opportunity to research an individual in depth and be sure they are a qualified hire. 

Dulaney’s work-based coordinator and College and Career Research teacher Beth Hartshorn, emphasized the importance of keeping a clean account and clean personality when applying for any job.

“Employees promote their business, I guess they’re sharing something negatively, and that’s not going to help the business, it just reflects negatively and they don’t want to associate with that,” Hartshorn said.  

Lying in an interview would be more hurtful than helpful these days because it takes a company just one search to realize it wasn’t true. Also, being excited about landing the job, some people go and post about it on social media accounts. The companies can see that, and realize that their new employee just leaked confidential information that they agreed not to do. These posts could be something as simple as going out somewhere when someone’s supposed to be working, or a vulgar photo of them that they may not have even thought was vulgar. 

“Just saying you can’t make it because you’re sick and then there are pictures of you at a concert. Being honest with your employers and doing what’s ethically correct, calling out and going to a concert isn’t the best way,” Hartshorn said. 

It’s important for anyone with a social media presence to keep their account clean, including things they were tagged in. A negative social media presence can prevent someone from getting a job or even place their current job in jeopardy, so it’s crucial to be cautious and professional in the real world, and online.