Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Poll

How did you hear about our newest edition?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No feed found.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to create a feed.

La Voz Hispana celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month

Gabrielle Cassini

From Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, Hispanic culture is celebrated across America during National Hispanic Heritage Month. La Voz Hispana, a Dulaney High School student-ran Hispanic club, helps spread awareness.

“I think our job as Hispanics is to teach to non-Hispanics. This month is to celebrate our culture, to learn about, to understand the people we live with…our neighbors,” says Kimberely Hernandez, Secretary of La Voz Hispana

El Salvador, Chile, Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica are some of the many countries that celebrate Hispanic Heritage month. Independence Day, observed Sept. 15 or 16, celebrates freedom from Spanish colonial rule. Many families and friends gather on this day to dance and eat to show pride in their heritage. 

“What my family and I like to do is cut a cake. Just like the Fourth of July for Americans, it’s just a simple thing we like to do,” says Lucy Martinez, President of La Voz Hispana. 

Hernandez adds, “My family doesn’t cut a cake, but we do always celebrate. We celebrate our culture’s food and we always talk to our family members that live in El Salvador.” 

Members of La Voz Hispana recently had the opportunity to promote their home country and individually represent their family’s culture. 

Gabrielle Cassini

“We gave them papers that you can color in flag shape, and we let them color their flag so they can promote where they are from. Everybody had a lot of fun and they loved that they were able to represent themselves,” says Hernandez. 

These flags will be displayed in the hallway outside room 200 for anyone to view and learn about these different countries. Next week, pins with the names of these featured countries will be sold for a dollar each. 

Martinez adds, “I want people to know that we are here and we are proud. Our goal is to have that support network here at Dulaney. Our culture is very welcoming. With Hispanic students and non-Hispanic students…anybody’s welcome to come!”

La Voz Hispana meets bi-weekly on Wednesdays at 2:45 in the Satellite Cafeteria. Updates can be found on their Instagram page: @lavozhispana.dhs