The bright future ahead of you

Natasha Aragon, Staff Writer

Tunnel vision is common when stressed about what to do after high school, but don’t fret. University isn’t the only option available. Take a breath and write down everything desired; not what others expect. Take a look at this list of other possible options for after high school. 

Community College: community colleges are a great entryway to post high school academia. Community colleges are geographically accessible, more affordable, easier to transition to and have smaller teacher to student ratios than four year colleges.  Community college credits can transfer to many institutions which can save a lot of money as compared to attending a university for all four years.

Workforce: Going straight to work is not an easy decision, but it can be worth it. Instead of spending money on college, earn it in the workforce. There, direct experience is gained on what it would be like in that chosen field (with other adults); managing that money becomes mandatory, providing further knowledge for life apart from school. It sets up the “real world” experience, just earlier than others. 

Military: Serving the country is an extremely difficult task, therefore virtuous. In the military one is taught immense discipline and given the chance to see the world while getting paid. Fitness skills and a greater sense of responsibility are achieved. However, it is a dangerous job and can separate loved ones. Even then, after one’s service, university is still an available option (and for free too for those in the air force or navy).

Trade School: Unlike university, trade schools mean graduating in two years or less, and with hands-on experience. As it is less years in school, less tuition is paid than at the average university, and most of the time people are even guaranteed a job. Trade schools are offered to those interested in fields like auto mechanics, HVAC, respiratory therapy or cosmetology, and so much more. 

Gap Year: Not everyone knows what they want to do. To those that feel the same, don’t stress; taking a gap year is always an option and can save money in the long run so that down the road suddenly switching majors won’t be an issue. More time for self-discovery and financial security is available, and life experiences can be gained prior to committing to an education path.