Mrs. Wheeler focuses on college readiness

Sara Leber, Staff Writer

Preparing for the future not only causes anxiety but also can inflict the feeling of uncertainty. Luckily if you are feeling stressed about college or even your future career, you have a helpful college and career counselor here at Dulaney to help you, Julie Wheeler.  

Usually students meet with Wheeler after they have met with their own counselor and need more guidance. Although she is only here part-time, she makes the most out of her time here and enjoys her time here at Dulaney. 

In the fall, she is in charge of the 16 college and career representative visits that come to the school but later in the year, she helps seniors with FAFSA, financial aid and scholarships. That includes updating databases, researching scholarships, meeting with students to talk about these resources and then beginning to talk to 11th graders as they get closer to senior year. On top of that, she sometimes helps out with classroom visits and class registration.

She focuses on asking students what their dreams are, what makes them excited, if they think college fits them, what careers they are passionate about, all in hopes that she can narrow down what might be a good fit for a student. 

She mentions how most of college readiness is just “going to class and doing your work… but I try to share everything that comes to my office with students to make sure they’re aware of it. One thing I can help them do is explore their options.”

Wheeler created  “Wednesday Scholarships”, where she sends out local scholarships that might have fewer candidates. She found out that many of these scholarships were getting “lost in the mix”, so she created these weekly informative messages in hopes that students can find some success.

Wheeler enjoys her job as she feels that students do not dread and are even potentially excited to meet with her since she is not cracking down on their grades or absences. Her sole purpose is to set students up for success in their future which most students are interested in talking and learning about.

Wheeler concluded the interview with, “When students find their path it is so rewarding, which looks different for everyone.”

Wheeler is always open to meeting with new students and is only an email away to arrange a meeting.