Junior year: Highly stressful to students at Dulaney High

Gabrielle Cassini, Staff Writer

According to a survey of students at Dulaney High School, junior year stands out as most stressful.

“Everyone told me this is the hardest year, and now that I’m in it I’m like oh my goodness. I feel like everyone is just putting so much pressure on themselves,” says Alyssa Alvarez, president of the Junior Class.

The survey from 11th graders at DHS reported that worry about life after high school and stress from schoolwork are the most common issues students face. Given these factors, taking a pause may be the best course of action. 

“When I am stressed to the point where I cannot function or think, I just stop. You can’t learn anything productively when you’re so involved in your thoughts” says Maya Tarantino, 11th grade student and founder of mental health club, Not On Our Watch, at Dulaney. 

In an effort to set themselves apart from the thousands of college applicants, students are juggling advanced classes, rigorous schoolwork and extracurricular activities. Deborah Hamilton, 11th grade English teacher, sympathizes with students. 

“I think they’re under a lot of pressure to pack their resumes, and a lot of my AP parents have unrealistic expectations. I hear about mental health, family problems and requests for extensions a lot… I have one girl that’s taking 8 AP classes and I worry about her,” says Hamilton.

However, finding a balance is essential. John Komosa, Dulaney student counselor, takes pride in valuing student wellness and says, “You need time to be able to show greatness in other areas of your life for college admissions, so adding an additional AP course might not be the best decision if it is limiting your other abilities,” says Komosa. 

Students have found ways to manage and overcome the challenges, and the importance of social support is growing. 

“I feel like people are starting to unite more. Everyone is in the same position, where they are so challenged, [so] they are like alright, let’s unify and work together,” says Alveraz. 

During this stressful time, parents and teachers should continue to push students to be the best version of themselves, while being supportive of students’ mental health. And Juniors, whether you are cruising by, or feel overwhelmed and stuck, remember to lean on supportive friends, family, and counselors to lessen the stress.