Dulaney theater gets fabulous in Footloose!

Anna Dudas, Staff Writer

The theater was nearly packed on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night for Dulaney High School’s spring production of “Footloose” the musical. Many students and friends gathered in anticipation of yet another extraordinary show. In the past, DHS has provided great productions such as this year’s fall play of “Dracula” and last year’s spring musical, “The Wizard of Oz”. Once again, DHS gave an unforgettable performance filled with creative choreography, set design, costumes and catchy music.  

“My favorite part about Dulaney theater is the community and friendships I have from it. It’s a way to have fun with others, channel my creativity, and it’s an awesome feeling when everything finally comes together”, says senior Emma Palumbo who played Principal Clark in the musical.  

The musical followed the plot of the original 1984 film. It tells the story of a high school senior named Ren McCormack, played by sophomore Bridgett Millett, who moves from Chicago to the small town of Bomont, Nebraska where he and his friends attempt to overturn the ban on dancing instituted by the efforts of a local minister. 

While the overall acting was amazing, several cast members stood out. Sophomore Chris Williams stood out as the redneck hick Willard, who added humor to the musical with their strong southern accent. Reverend Shaw Moore, a strict-natured character, was played passionately by freshman Dani Harrer. Seniors Cassie Hubbard and John Kallaur played Ariel and her boyfriend Chuck, both singing and dancing skillfully. 

The music was what really made the show exceptional. Ariel, Rusty played by Ava Barnes and Wendy Jo played by Lydie Hubbard gave a dramatic performance during the upbeat song “Holding out for a Hero”. Hubbard and Millett also shined when they sang “Almost Paradise” together.  

“My favorite song is either “Almost Paradise” or “Let’s Hear it For the Boy”, they are both super catchy and fun!”, says senior sound chief Jay Lee. 

The set and sound crew also did an incredible job. In particular, the diner and school scenes with the different tables and lockers set up showed the amount of time and effort that had gone into building the set. Additionally, the different sound effects such as the train in the distance, the school bell and the classical music piece really made the show feel even more realistic. There were a few times when the mics were a bit low but the issue was quickly resolved with the help of the sound crew, and it did not make much of a difference to the overall performance. 

“My role as sound chief is influential because it makes the performance more pleasurable and easier to follow when the mics are at the correct level and the sound effects come at the correct cues. Controlling the sound effects makes the show more dramatic and exciting to watch”, says Lee.   

In the end, DHS highlighted the extraordinary talents of each cast member during the performance. “Footloose” combines great choreography, fantastic musical numbers and a detailed set for an amazing experience thanks to the large number of sets, props, costumes, lights and sound crew members. 

“Being a part of this show taught me how much everyone has to work together to make the show successful”, says Palumbo. 

Dulaney Theatre Company continues to amaze all their audience members and I can’t wait to see what musicals are in store for the future!