Dulaney strives to keep building accessible to all

Margaret Young, Staff Writer

The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990 is an unfunded government mandate protecting people with disabilities from discrimination. The ADA prevents prejudice and ableism in employment and government services, as well as requires accessibility in public places. Creating wheelchair accessible spaces, resources for the blind and deaf and increasing job opportunities for disabled Americans are some examples of how the ADA has increased accessibility throughout the US. How well is Dulaney adhering to the ADA?  

Dulaney High School, home to nearly 2,000 unique students, prides itself on diversity and inclusion with a well-established CALs program serving students with autism and other learning disorders. With one current Dulaney student using a wheelchair and many other students using temporary mobility assistance like crutches, accessibility to all parts of the building is not only required under the ADA, but crucial to guarantee all students a fair and quality education. 

Despite Dulaney’s original building being older than the ADA, the school does have a functioning elevator. Dulaney also has at least one wheelchair accessible bathroom stall for students on every floor. Additionally, there is braille writing underneath the English writing on all door markers. Details like this often go unnoticed by most students, but for a few, it validates their presence in the school community and makes the building more inclusive. 

After the ramp by the lower parking lot collapsed last November, an event previously reported by the Griffin, it was quickly fixed, once again making that passage accessible to students unable to use the stairs. These quick and secure repairs are expected and important ways to show that Dulaney accepts people with a variety of needs and abilities. Too often, repairs that aid accessibility tend to be overlooked, despite ADA regulations. An inclusive school building can be an important first step to creating an equal community and world.  

To foster a more inclusive world, simple regulations, as seen manifested within Dulaney, build respect for disabled people’s perspectives, experiences and lives in modern society.