The future architects of Dulaney

An Exploration of Neo-Modernism is a 3D Sketchup model created by Aman Bhogal. This work represents his memory of driving through Vienna in summer of 2020 and drawing rough sketches of office buildings he found mesmerizing. From the time he began this work and finished it, its characteristics are vastly different from the original vision - demonstrating how design changes for an architect are frequent.

(Dulaney Griffin/Aman Bhogal)

“An Exploration of Neo-Modernism” is a 3D Sketchup model created by Aman Bhogal. This work represents his memory of driving through Vienna in summer of 2020 and drawing rough sketches of office buildings he found mesmerizing. From the time he began this work and finished it, its characteristics are vastly different from the original vision – demonstrating how design changes for an architect are frequent.

Takara Wilson, Staff Writer

Architecture – a field where the study and application of culture, technique, design and science come together to create a physical building. We see this field in our everyday lives as we enter and exit buildings on a daily basis. In architecture, elements such as personalization, creative expression and client needs lay the foundation for creating the perfect design. But who are the minds behind this? Architects undergo a rigorous process to become certified, ranging from earning a professional or master’s degree, passing several licensing exams and building up professional experience to stand out in such a competitive and prestigious field. 

A field that seems so distant from our school community, is actually quite the opposite. Dulaney High School’s internship program gives students an opportunity to explore their career interests, and two students in this program intern at architecture related firms. Seniors and aspiring architects Aman Bhogal and Maddie McGinley shared about the beginnings of their journey in architecture and their outlook on the professional future.

“To me, architecture is the ability to mend and design a space that conducively reacts to the needs of the people that will be using that space, while also being good for fostering a safe, comfortable environment and being sustainably friendly”, says Bhogal.

Bhogal’s interest in architecture began in the seventh grade and continued to flourish as he entered high school. He credits Dulaney’s art and engineering programs for aiding him with the college credit and art portfolio process, showcasing Dulaney’s support for each student’s particular needs. His internship with Studio Partnership Design in Hunt Valley, MD gives him a glimpse into what his future job may entail: ordering samples, coordinating with representatives and putting together design development binders. Bhogal hopes to continue this passion throughout college where he plans to take part in academic research and study abroad programs in countries such as Spain and India to gain a worldly perspective through learning about the interactions between people and culture.

McGinley, who grew up around people who were passionate about interior design, admires the interchangeable atmosphere and works with commercial and residential architecture through her internship at JRS Architects in Baltimore. She attends client design meetings and in-person visits to sites, where she then creates her own pitch of a design. Her dream goal? To be a well-accredited architect in this competitive field that’s dominated by men. McGinley also hopes that someday there will be equal representation of women in architecture. 

“Architecture is a very personal and visual representation of someone’s brain and creative process. If they’re more creative-thinking they’re gonna find different ways to incorporate aspects in their designs. There’s a lot you can do based on who you are and there’s no limits to that”, said McGinley.

It’s evident that the passion for architecture that emits from these two students is extremely strong. Aspiring architects in high school will be the ones on the forefront of designing the buildings we use everyday in the future.