More teens spending time at the gym

Anna Dudas, Staff Writer

High school students are transforming the values of today’s society with their focus on all things health, fitness and balance. Gym culture is a rising phenomenon for both millennials and Gen Z. The gym has shown to improve mood, boost energy, promote better sleep, help with mental illness and provide many other benefits that high school students desire. Gyms such as Crunch Fitness, Brick Bodies and Anytime Fitness have grown in popularity throughout communities across America. These gyms, in their own unique way, have made it their priority to create a culture where people want to train, spend their time and feel empowered by the staff and other members.

Through social media platforms, including Instagram and TikTok, content creators post workout videos, “what I eat in a day” videos, and other gym related media such as gym clothing brand reviews, which have become extremely popular among teenagers and even encouraged some of them to join commercial gyms. 

Many high schoolers have found a passion for lifting, while some do it leisurely to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The majority of those at Dulaney High School attend commercial gyms outside of school to meet certain goals associated with their physical appearance and overall body image or to help improve their mental health.  

Renee Wilkins says, “Setting a goal for the gym is all about the mindset. The reason I go to the gym is to reach my goals and become stronger. It helps me gain confidence in myself along with helping my mental state.”

Many students also attend the gym to prepare for upcoming sports seasons, or to stay in shape during the offseason. 

“I love going to the gym during the offseason to prepare for my upcoming lacrosse season because it has all the equipment I need to get in shape,” says Mia Connor. 

Commercial gyms offer various amenities as well such as group exercise classes, yoga, pools, massage therapy and steam rooms which are very desirable for gym-goers. 

However, there are some potential drawbacks to teen gym culture and public gyms. Many individuals fear being judged for the amount of weight they lift or their skill at a certain exercise. Teenagers struggle with insecurity around the eyes of others while in athletic wear, which can be form-fitting. 

In order to experience more comfort in a gym environment, students like Alyssa Alvarez often take a friend to complete their workouts. Alvarez says having someone else by her side to help ease into the workout and finish strong gives her support and reassurance. 

“Working out with someone not only helps me stay motivated but also gives me more confidence in my workout,” says Alvarez. 

Going to the gym has become a large part of many people’s daily routines with many positive effects beyond physical benefits, and it is sure to continue to become a growing hobby throughout the community for teenagers.