Concerns over college safety continue to rise

Megan Puente, Staff Writer

College is supposed to be four years of a positive experience. Yet, unfortunately, there could now be fear in normal daily activities on campus and nearby areas. There is an alarming rise in brutal attacks against students, many of whom are women,  on college campuses across the United States. On Nov. 13, 2022, Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xana Kernodle and Ethan Chapin were stabbed to death in their off-campus home in Moscow, Idaho. Wanting justice for their fellow classmates, Idaho students demanded information about why this happened and how they can prevent future instances. Tragic events like the one in Idaho have brought national awareness to the safety concerns of women on college campuses. 

One anticipated aspect of college is an active social life. Meeting new people and being in proximity to others you do not know during many parts of the day, but being around strangers can be dangerous. It is important to know your surroundings. When going out, have a buddy;  Avoid being alone while walking on campus and areas near campus. Another safety tip you should get in the habit of doing is checking in on your friends and knowing when they will be away. If one of your friends is comfortable with it, use a tracking app so that you can locate them if needed. 

In most colleges underclassmen live in dorms while older students often live in apartments. When living in an apartment there are many safety devices available to buy for your living area to make it more safe. Some examples are alarms, cameras and secure locks. Along with your phone, which is a big safety tool, it’s important to have self-defense tools. This could include pepper spray or an emergency whistle. 

Some of the threats that occur are more targeted for girls, but there are other situations that could apply to men as well. It’s always important to have a plan for any situation that may occur.