Gals over pals

Olivia Hetherington, Staff Writer

If you don’t have a significant other on Feb. 14 no worries, a better holiday is right before: Galentine’s Day. It is a day to celebrate female friendships everywhere.

The word “galentine” was first introduced to the world during a February 2010 episode of “Parks and Recreation“. In the hit comedy, Leslie Knope — the fictional deputy director of the Parks and Recreation Department — invented the holiday. Since then, the holiday has spread to more than just a TV show and many women celebrate it. 

“My plans for Galentine’s Day is to spend the day with my best friends while making chocolate covered strawberries and watching How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days”, said Anna Jones, a Dulaney High School student. 

Since Galentine’s Day falls on a Monday this year you could celebrate over the weekend with some fun festivals. Some activities you can do with your friends include eating waffles at your favorite brunch spot, spending the afternoon having a spa day or watching movies while eating junk food. Bringing everyone together to celebrate a friendship filled with love is the most important thing. 

If you are having a party, some fun things you can bring are flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, pink and red charcuterie boards or maybe even specialized gifts for each friend. 

“I am going to make heart shaped brownies and an edible arrangement. Also, for each of my friends I will be making a sentimental card expressing my gratitude and love for our friendship”, said Charlotte Meyers, a Dulaney High School student. 

Simply put, Galentine’s Day is like Valentine’s Day, but for the gals! And though unofficial, in the eyes of girls everywhere, it’s totally a thing. 

“The reason why I celebrate Galentine’s Day is to appreciate and spread love to my sisters, mother and friends. They are a piece of my heart and a big factor in my life that make me the strong young woman I am today”, Megan Puente, a Dulaney High School student.

Make sure you and your friends get together on Feb. 13 to celebrate each other and make some fun memories.