Merry tunes for your next Christmas playlist

Summer Trivett, Staff Writer

Every holiday season people around the world get excited to hear their favorite Christmas songs. From Mariah Carey, to Pentatonix, to Michael Bublé, there are countless variations of Christmas music. While some people start listening to Christmas songs in December, others start before Thanksgiving. No matter when you start, so many people feel the joy of this cheerful music during the holiday season.  

There are many classic Christmas songs that are still popular today. The well-known song by Mariah Carey, “All I Want for Christmas is You” was released in 1994 and is still a classic almost 30 years later. Another favorite is “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee, which was released in 1958 over 60 years ago.  According to the New York Post, Brenda Lee’s hit was “number three on the Billboard Top 100” last December.  

Dulaney students had much to say about Christmas tunes, responding to a survey about their top three favorite Christmas songs. The responses included popular songs like “Feliz Navidad” by Jose Feliciano, “All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey and “Holly Jolly Christmas” by Michael Bublé. The survey also received more traditional songs like “Carol of the Bells” and “The First Noel.”  

Although the survey shows 80% of students chose “Last Christmas” as one of their favorites, the version was not specified as there are over 100 versions of this song. Originally sung by Wham!, the song also has covers by Ariana Grande, Taylor Swift, Meghan Trainor and many others. Wham!’s original version of the popular song had 746,670,471 streams this past December since it was uploaded to Spotify.  

Another popular musical group during the holiday season is Pentatonix – an acapella group consisting of five members. They are two-time Grammy award winners for their holiday albums and two of their albums have been number one on Billboard charts. Among others, they have worked together with artists including Kelly Clarkson, Meghan Trainor and John Legend. Pentatonix has released both original songs and covers of traditional holiday songs, such as “Hallelujah” and “O Come All Ye Faithful.” 

Kelly Clarkson’s collaboration with Pentatonix was just one of her countless trending Christmas songs. Her album released in 2013, “Wrapped in Red,” contained many songs that made it on the Billboard charts. According to Spotify, Clarkson’s “Underneath the Tree” has been in the top 50 holiday songs every year since it was released.  

Whether you listen to more traditional Christmas music or more upbeat and modern songs, there is a variety to choose from. This month is considered one of the most wonderful times of the year, so embrace it by listening to joyful Christmas songs!