Let the SAT prep begin!

Katherine Schutzman, Flex Editor

As winter approaches, opportunities to take the SAT in the spring are becoming a scary reality. Many juniors have already begun preparing for the exam, and others are beginning to follow suit. Whether you enroll in Dulaney’s SAT Prep class, take a course outside of school or decide to handle studying on your own, now is the time to create good study habits to be prepared by the time exam season rolls around.

Dulaney’s SAT Prep class covers all the sections that one will encounter during the exam: reading, writing and language and math. Dulaney teacher Karen Wilson covers the reading and writing and language sections of SAT prep, whereas Alyson Klein handles the math sections. 

“We don’t teach new skills,” Wilson said. “These are skills that everybody has already been exposed to throughout their academic career. So what we do is a lot of practice work.”

Dulaney’s SAT Prep class is offered as a one-semester course. Similar to any SAT prep class, it allows students to practice problems and questions that they may see on the exam, as well as familiarize themselves with the limited time on the exam.

However, Wilson notes that students looking for a more personalized SAT prep experience may benefit from private tutoring, or a smaller class providing more personal help. 

“[With a private tutor,] you’re going to have someone teaching something that’s specifically geared to you…Whereas in school, since we have up to 30 kids in a class, we’re going to touch on everything,” Wilson said.

Wilson suggests Khan Academy as a study tool, as it provides programs specifically designed for SAT prep. They are partnered with the College Board, which administers the SAT.

If you choose to take studying into your own hands, purchasing an SAT prep book is a step in the right direction. Popular choices include the Princeton Review, Barron’s, McGraw Hill and even the College Board itself.

Dulaney’s in-school SAT day for 2023 is Tuesday, April 25. If you aren’t happy with the score you receive the first time you take the SAT, it’s always possible to retake it for a better score. However, the school will not waive the fees for any additional SATs that you may take.

Though now it may seem like March and April SATs are in the distant future, those exam dates will arrive before you know it. Although schoolwork and mental health should always take priority, it’s crucial to make sure you have a study plan that will allow you to feel prepared by the time the test rolls around.