Come as you are; Black Student Union feature

Margaret Young, Staff Writer

Since the 1960s, Black Student Unions (BSU) have provided a safe community for Black students, a welcoming environment for all and an opportunity to learn about Black culture. Dulaney High School’s BSU has exemplified these ideals and is looking to grow the club even more.  

Carmen Nicole, Dulaney’s BSU president, described the club as being a space where Black students can relate to each other and find community.  

Nicole said, “[the BSU] means having a safe space for Black students who may feel as though they cannot talk about certain things with certain teachers or other students.” 

This sense of comfort within the Union is an idea shared by Royal Eze, the vice president. He mentioned that there are not many Black students in the classes that he takes, so the BSU is a way he can simply be with Black students within the school. The safe and welcoming community is the foundation of BSU around the country and Paris McLee, the secretary, agrees that having one within Dulaney is an incredible asset for all students.  

“People from all different communities [come] together to celebrate and learn about Black culture and to represent Black history,” said McLee.

Spokesperson Layeska Prado, advertises meetings held every other Tuesday in room 233 for any and all students that are interested in joining. She shares her hopes for the future of the club and is excited about opportunities to get the club more wide-spread throughout the school.

She says, “[her] hopes are that [the BSU] gets more exposure and more students [coming to] the club.”

Every Dulaney BSU officer shares the same hope for the future of the club: expansion. Nicole and Eze mentioned that students of all races and genders are encouraged to join BSU and will be welcomed. 

Having a BSU can help Black students relate to each other and raise awareness of Black issues, celebrations and role models for all students. This year’s officers are working tirelessly to raise awareness for the club and the importance of preserving Black culture and history within Dulaney.