Dulaney in the community

Jeongin Kim, Staff Writer

The many weeks of quarantine have played out much like the five stages of grief. First, we denied the necessity of lockdown (it seems like some are still stuck in that stage). Since then, it has been a hodgepodge of the remaining stages. Despite the difficulty of navigating quarantine, Dulaney’s community has found different ways to spend their time.
Senior Nicholas Trivett volunteered at Cockeysville Volunteer Fire Company, where he is working towards his Firefighter 1 certification. He is also working towards his Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.
“The EMT class has been held online and when we are allowed to go back to regular class, all we will have to do is practice some hands-on skills to get our provisional license until the demand for EMTs has gone down. That is, depending on what Governor Hogan says,” he said.
While many are quietly social distancing, Trivett noted some do not recognize the urgency of staying at home.
“A lot more people than I would have thought have no respect for what the government says we should do.
Frankly, they are being selfish by breaking quarantine, which they have no right to do,” he said.
Refreshingly, Latin teacher Dawn Mitchell recognized her advantages.
“I’m in the lucky, lucky lucky .001% of people who will likely weather this without fanfare. No economic setbacks will mar my year; closer relationships with my family and neighbors will be the lovely takeaway. In short, I’m not dealing with anything extra. So, everyday I give to my students and my academic passion all that I have. That’s my contribution to our world right now,” she said.

Biology teacher Marci Phillips shared her own adjustments necessary for online teaching.

“One of the things I have always loved about science and science education is the inherently hands on nature of the content. Forensics and Biotech are both particularly lab based, and many virtual simulations are prohibitively expensive. I am really sad that students are missing out on the hands on lab time, but I’m trying to find other ways to make content meaningful,” Phillips said.

Phillips has found this the time to take upon new duties. Recently, she has spent her quarantine fostering five kittens.
“They are as well behaved as one can expect kittens to be, which is to say they climbed up our legs and our curtain and pretty much everything else!” she said.

Meanwhile, though junior Dhruv Srinivasan understands that most people are comfortable in isolation, he wants to check on all his friends to make sure they’re okay.
“Although I miss seeing my friends, we’re fortunate to live in a time where it’s much easier to connect with other people, so having access to that is wonderful,” he said.
Quarantine has been especially unnerving for students who are adjusting to online classes, but Srinivasan remains optimistic. He has taken this time to explore new hobbies, relax with his own company and his friends.
Similarly, English teacher Deborah Hamilton has taken this time to appreciate those around her.
“Since my daughter and her family re-located to Southeast Asia in January and were not yet familiar with the language or know how their country was going to handle the crisis, they came back in April just as the country was restricting movement in or out. We are thrilled to have them live with us. We already had their bunk beds set up and were storing their bikes, so it’s like an extended vacation with [grandma] and [grandpa],” she said.
Senior Alex Kramer reflected on the changes. She strived to keep a busy schedule to keep herself occupied.

“I’ve definitely learned a lot about myself during quarantine. I now know that I need a set schedule to function.

When college comes around, I can ensure I’m getting stuff done at the best time,” Kramer said.
Though it’s unclear how much longer this will go on, what is certain is that there’s never too much time to value our relationships. To look for the best in the disarray and thank those who keep us safe.

“It’s all down to the relationship now. All of it. A piece of the grading has become personal comments. I want them to know that I am here and that I know that they are there,” Mitchell said.

Though seniors have been disappointed by the cancellation of end-of-the-year culminating activities, a majority of them understand how the precautions taken ultimately benefit public welfare.
“One thing that is keeping me going during all of this is knowing that it will eventually pass. We’ll be able to step foot on campus, go to spirit games, and walk to class. Each day that passes gets us closer to that. I hope
everyone keeps that in mind as well, it’s made me feel a lot better,” Kramer said.
Trivett agrees. “We have to remember everyone is going through something similar, so be strong and safely make the
most out of this situation,” Trivett said.