Congrats to Korrow

Chris Cao, Staff Writer

The Dulaney High community was made proud when varsity women’s lacrosse head
coach and English teacher Kristi Korrow was inducted into the Greater Baltimore Lacrosse
Foundation Hall of Fame on Saturday, Jan 18, 2020. When asked about the award Korrow
expressed her gratitude.
“It’s definitely a huge honor,” Korrow said when asked about the award. “It’s
Baltimore’s hall of fame, and Baltimore is the hub of lacrosse, so it’s really humbling.”
This isn’t Korrow’s first award: she began her athletic excellence at Mercy High School
where she played year-round sports and excelled in all of them: in soccer, she was team captain
for two years, earned 4 letters and was a two-time all-city/county all pick. She was the lacrosse
captain for three years and earned 4 letters. She wasn’t captain of the indoor track team, but
she was named Most Valuable Runner for two straight seasons and earned 2 letters. At the end
of her successful high school career, Korrow left Mercy as the Sportswoman of the Year during
her senior year, Best Offensive Player of 2000 and MVP in 1999. Baltimore Sun even named her
an All-City/County All-star twice.
Transitioning to the next level of lacrosse was not an issue for Korrow. She played in 19
games her freshman and sophomore seasons at Loyola University Maryland as a defensive
player. For her junior and senior seasons at Loyola, she was the team captain. In her Junior
season, Korrow saw major action being a starter and an integral part to the best ranked
defense in the country. She guided her team to the NCAA Semifinals and even scored a point.
Once she graduated, she immediately began coaching and teaching at Dulaney High
School. Just last season, Korrow led Dulaney’s varsity team to the state championship. Her
coaching styles and life philosophies have been praised by her fellow coaches and varsity
players. Elizabeth Keeney, varsity assistant coach, was able to see both sides of the field with
Coach Korrow.
“I played for her when I was at Dulaney, so since 2007. This is also my third-year
coaching with her,” Keeney said.
Keeney described Mrs. Korrow as a strict coach, pushing players very hard.
“But she also cares about team chemistry and relationships, which she helps foster.
She’s my role model; the way she conducts herself on and off the field is inspiring. She is always
focused on her goals.”

When asking Kayla Brennan—a varsity midfielder—about Korrow, she praised Korrow’s
life lessons and coaching style.
“She’s my role model. She taught me to hold myself accountable for my mistakes and
work hard,” Brennan said. “She pushes me to be the best player I can be.”
Samantha White—a midfielder who committed to Northwestern University for
lacrosse—describes Korrow as a caretaker and motivator.
“Playing for Korrow for three years has made me a stronger player and person. I will always
remember the time I got cut in the eye in one of our games and Korrow was by my side until I
had to leave to go to the hospital. Even though the game was still going on, she wanted to
make sure I was ok and that shows how much she cares about every player she coaches,” White
said.