People need $#*!

Jason Fontelieu, Deputy editor

Latin teacher Dawn Mitchell has no issue with cursing.
“Who doesn’t like the f-bomb?” Mitchell said. “It’s a beautiful word, starts out soft ends mean with the ‘k’ sound. It almost bring tears to my eyes just thinking about it.”
A sensitive topic, it’s often difficult to determine when profanity is acceptable or out of place.
Some, including social studies teacher Julie Marx, deem profanity unacceptable in public situations.
“It’s a degrading of common civility we are quickly losing in this country,” Marx said.
Psychology teacher Kendra Swam cautioned against feeling comfortable cursing in front of someone.
“By swearing, you’re violating a taboo,” she said. “That can have a powerful influence on creating a community or bond in a small and private setting.”
Senior and tech crew lighting chief Julia Clark has been known to be so frequently foul-mouthed that fellow crew members set up a swear jar for her use.
“I’m capable of expressing my emotions in a civil manner,” Clark said. “But cursing is just way faster and more fun.”
The limit for profanity is drawn at the baseball field for senior Ron Dent.
“I don’t think it’s okay to curse at players or at other people at all,” Dent said.
Other students stray away from the temptations of profanity altogether, such as junior Zach Iacoboni.
“There’s a scripture in Ephesians that says ‘let not a rotten word come out of your mouth,’” Iacoboni said. “I live by that.”
Junior Kirsten Roys is also immune to the profanity bug, but after her father cursed at a driver who cut him off one day before her lacrosse practice, her family created an alternative.
“It’s a running joke in our house whenever someone does something stupid. We just say ‘what the bleep, you bleeper,’” Roys said.
Editor-in-chief Meher Hans and staff writer Christina Panousos contributed to this report.

Jason Fontelieu, Associate Editor

Senior Jason Fontelieu is an avid review writer and stripe bearer. His interests include bread pudding, the album “Lemonade”, and ignoring college...

Hanna Bewley, Associate Editor

Hanna Bewley is a senior with a passion for creating and exploring new ideas. She enjoys art and photography, so you can often find her with a camera in...

Meher Hans, Editor-in-Chief

Meher is a senior who aspires to graduate high school. In her free time, she dreams about living in a van and eats pomegranates or any other silly fruits.

Sophie Bates, Editor-In-Chief

Sophie is a senior and editor-in-chief who thoroughly enjoys binge watching "The Office," drinking white peppermint mochas and sweeping the floors of Marshalls....

Julie Chotivatanapong, Editor-In-Chief

Julie is a senior who loves to eat 24/7. In the journalism lab, you'll always be able to smell the aroma of her delicious lunches (Maria can testify to...