They’re still hot

Back to Article
Back to Article

They’re still hot

Junior Kendall Snyder sports ripped jeans she purchased from American Eagle for about $25.

Sophie Bates

Sophie Bates

Sophie Bates

Vinny Arciaga, Maria Eberhart, and Emily Williams

Sophomore Lucia Qian learned how to rip her jeans from watching YouTube videos.
“I go to thrift shops and buy jeans that are only like $5 and just cut them off, cuff them and distress them,” Qian said.
It may be winter time, but ripped jeans are practically everywhere. The popularity of this classic look has been around since the 1980’s, when ripped jeans were associated with the era of heavy metal and rock music. The jeans resurfaced in this decade because they’re simple yet edgy.
“They are cute, and they catch the eye. You can express yourself,” sophomore Lilah Sidle said.
Styles include light-wash, jet-black, small slits or gaping holes. Senior Jared Lim mixes styles.
“I have one that’s really blown out at the knee and another with a couple of rips from mid-thigh all the way down to the ankle area,” Lim said.
Students reported spending from $20 to $50 on ripped jeans. Popular brands include H&M, PacSun, Hollister and Zara.
Junior Kendall Snyder’s go-to is American Eagle, where she prefers to buy dark blue jeans, she said.
Ripped jeans are often established as the focal point of the outfit. Because of this, students choose to go simple with solid-colored shirts and sweaters.
“The attention’s usually on the legs. It depends on the color. You want something plain but also brings together the jeans and the top,” sophomore Lilah Sidle said.
While some like them for fashion purposes, others choose to wear them to make a statement.
“Teens like to feel rebellious,” junior Nicole Tregabov said.
No matter the reason for wearing them, students agree that ripped jeans aren’t going away anytime soon.
“This trend will last until the end of humanity,” Sidle said.

Vinny Arciaga, Staff Writer

Vinny is a senior who quite enjoys straining his voice to Korean, Chinese and Japanese music. A New York-bound future male model, you will definitely see...

Hanna Bewley, Associate Editor

Hanna Bewley is a senior with a passion for creating and exploring new ideas. She enjoys art and photography, so you can often find her with a camera in...

Sophie Bates, Editor-In-Chief

Sophie is a senior and editor-in-chief who thoroughly enjoys binge watching "The Office," drinking white peppermint mochas and sweeping the floors of Marshalls....