Overview and insights into the course

Maria Bellios, Staff Writer

An Advanced Placement (AP) African American studies course created by College Board is being tested in select schools around the nation. Students receive an introduction to the experience of African Americans through the humanities, political science and geographic studies.

Students will be allowed to take AP African American studies starting in 2023, yet not every high school is open to adding the course to its curriculum. In order to comply with his “Stop W.O.K.E. Act”, Florida Governor Ron DeSantis stated his desire to forbid Florida schools from offering AP African American studies. The “Stop W.O.K.E. Act” prohibits the teaching of critical race theory in primary and secondary institutions. People like DeSantis are responsible for the curriculum’s many modifications including the removal of critical race theory, and making the study of the Black Lives Matter movement optional. 

For the 2023-2024 school year, Dulaney High School will be offering the course for anyone who is interested. The course will be taught by Lynda Motiram, a fourth year social studies teacher at Dulaney who is ecstatic to start teaching it.

She said, “African American (AA) history has always been an interest of mine. When I taught in Anne Arundel County there was always an AA history class running and I saw that it was a social study elective in Baltimore County.” 

The course helps students understand and learn to value diversity, a crucial component in today’s society, by teaching them about the experiences and contributions of African Americans throughout history. Motiram also believes that African American history is inspiring. 

Motiram said, “Resistance to slavery, insistence on personhood and raising a family under such difficult conditions, the many contributions that African Americans gave to the United States, the continued belief that America could and must live up to its ideals… African Americans have done much to forge a more perfect union.” 

Motiram hopes students find the course to be interesting and helpful in building writing and critical thinking skills that will allow them to succeed in advanced curriculums. 

“Just about every aspect of American life is strongly influenced by the contributions of African Americans…A close focus on one aspect of the American story lets us see history up close – rich, complex and nuanced. I hope the students come away with new insights and knowledge,” Motriam said, explaining the overall advantages to those who take the course.

The main themes of the course outlined by the College Board:

•  African-American culture is diverse and dynamic, with evolving identities
  • Social constructs of race are of continuing significance to African Americans
  • African Americans have confronted, and continue to confront discrimination, prejudice, and injustice
  •  African Americans have struggled, and continue to strive, for equal opportunity, African American History and American History are inseparable. 

The units include:

• Africa Before the Atlantic Slave Trade (1450-1600)
  • From Colonial America to Antebellum America (1600-1860)
  •  Civil War & Reconstruction (1861-1900)
  •  Segregation & Migration (1900-1945)
  • Civil Rights Era & the Modern Age (1946-Present)