Woman in STEM: Camille Kawabata

Addison Michael, Staff Writer

STEM: science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Senior Camille Kawabata has been immersed in STEM for her entire life and she has grown especially interested in the engineering aspect.

Mechanical engineering assumes a major role in Kawabata’s life. The aspiring engineer has earned numerous achievements, such as placing in the Maryland State SkillsUSA competition for Engineering, Technology and Design. She also participates in several clubs at Dulaney High School in addition to the school’s engineering program; these clubs include Model United Nations, Key Club, SkillsUSA, National Honor Society, National English Honor Society and National Technical Honor Society- she even helped start Girl Up. Kawabata also enjoys athletics, participating in Junior Varsity Softball her freshman year of high school and color guard. 

As with any field of work, mechanical engineering comes with challenges. Kawabata expresses her concerns about going into a male-dominated industry.

“I’ve come to engineering classes at Dulaney where I’m one of only a couple girls. It’s definitely harder to make your voice heard and get involved in projects. Oftentimes women in workplaces like that are perceived as aggressive and too upfront. It’s definitely a little bit of a barrier to break through,” said Kawabata.

She hopes that in the near future more girls will become involved with not just engineering, but the entire field of STEM. It’s incredibly important for women and girls to have their voices both heard and taken seriously. 

As of now, Kawabata plans to study mechanical engineering at the Olin College of Engineering. There, she can continue to explore her lifelong passion. Good luck Camille!