Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Lions Notebook: Teams Look to Finish Regular Seasons Strong

Patrick Fitzgerald, Sports Editor

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on RedditPin on PinterestPrint this page

The allied soccer team played Franklin to a 4-4 draw in their most recent game Oct.4. Their record now stands at 1-0-1. In their next match, they host Milford Mill Oct.10.

The varsity badminton team has run their streak of consecutive victories to seven after their 10-1 defeat of Lansdowne to remain perfect on the season. The team will continue their quest for a third straight county championship when they host Hereford Oct. 14.

The girls junior varsity cross country team finished in third place in the JV division of the Glory Days Invitational behind the second place finish of sophomore Rachel Krug. They next compete at the Gunpowder Invitational Oct. 15.

The girls varsity cross country team finished twelfth in the Glory Days Grille Invitational in Manassas, Va. Oct. 8. Led by senior Jessica Meek, junior Dorrie Gaeng and sophomore Brooke Ruffin, the team next travels to the Gunpowder Invitational Oct. 15.

The boys junior varsity cross country team pulled off a one point victory at the Glory Days race in the freshman division behind a second place finish from freshman Ethan Samels. They hope to continue their success at the Gunpowder Invitational Oct. 15.

The boys varsity cross country team has started their season on the heels of a state title, with victories at the Barnhart, Spike Shoe and Glory Days invitational meets. They  managed a victory at Glory Days, led by a ninth place finish by junior Matt Owens. The team next competes at the Gunpowder Invitational Oct. 15.

The junior varsity field hockey team improved to a record of 7-0-1 in county play after a 4-1 win over Franklin Oct. 7. They look to continue their unbeaten streak with three remaining regular season games.

The varsity girls field hockey team has rebounded from a three game losing streak with a three game win streak, including a 1-0 defeat of Hereford Oct. 5 with senior Kiley Bolonda netting the lone goal. They have three remaining regular season games before they begin their regional title defense in the playoffs.

The junior varsity football team fell to 0-5 after a 43-0 defeat against Woodlawn Oct. 7. They play Perry Hall in their next game Oct. 15.

The varsity football team beat Woodlawn 49-12 Oct. 7 to improve their record to 3-2. Led by junior quarterback Tyler Woodard, the team will play Perry Hall at home Oct.15.

The girls golf team finished second in the county championships Sept.28, ending their streak of three consecutive county championships. Senior Sam Lannon led the team with a second place finish.

The boys golf team also finished second at the county championships Sept.28,  putting an end to a five-year county title streak. Led by top ten finishers senior Jack Hermann and sophomore Chan Park, seven players qualified for the District VI Championships. Park’s score of 80 qualified him for the state competition beginning Oct. 24 at University of Maryland, College Park.

The girls junior varsity soccer team fell to 2-2-2 after a 3-0 defeat to Perry Hall Sept. 30. They host Hereford Oct. 10 in their next match.

The boys junior varsity soccer team defeated Owings Mills 8-1 Oct. 5, improving their record to 5-1-1. They travel to Hereford Oct. 10 and then play Pikesville Oct. 13 with a chance to qualify for the county championship game.

The girls varsity soccer team suffered a 3-1 loss to Fallston Oct. 7, their second straight loss. Their record now stands at 5-3, and they look to snap the streak Oct. 10 when they host Hereford for the senior game.

The boys varsity soccer team defeated Owings Mills 4-0 Oct. 5, bringing their record to 6-4-1 on the season. Senior transfer striker Jordan Brown has led the offense with 15 goals. The team plays Hereford on the road Oct. 10.

The junior varsity volleyball team has not dropped a set in county play with an unblemished 7-0 mark. They take on Dundalk Oct.10 at home as they look to keep the streak going.

The varsity volleyball team defeated Franklin 3-0 Oct. 6 to bring their record to 6-1 in county play and 6-3 overall. They host Dundalk Oct.10.