Our mission: to enlighten and to entertain

Zoe’s dazzles, impresses

Jason Fontelieu, Deputy Editor

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someoneShare on RedditPin on PinterestPrint this page

With a vibrant aesthetic, open atmosphere and meticulously-prepared meals, Zoe’s Kitchen provides a pleasant fast food alternative.

Known for Mediterranean style cuisine, Zoe’s’ menu ranges from lighter options like salads and pita sandwiches to more substantial ones like the Mediterranean Chicken or their wide variety of kebabs.

Feeling adventurous, I opted for the steak kebabs.

The service was efficient, with several hosts switching off between taking orders at the counter and running plates to tables. The delicate and organized presentation of the plate suggests preparation longer than the 10 minutes it took to reach the table.

The meal came with two skewers bearing large hunks of steak and pieces of pepper, atop sides of rice pilaf and a medley of grilled carrots, onions, broccoli and mushrooms.

The food itself was tasty, the only flaw being the difficulty of using the silverware to physically get the meat off the skewer. The steak was tender and juicy, easy to cut and full of flavor from an intense, but not overpowering citrusy marinade.

Despite the consortium they were in, the individual vegetables each maintained their unique flavor and acted as crisp pallet-cleansers in between the savory bites of beef.

My least favorite part of the dish was the rice pilaf, a mushroom-based side that had an awkward mushy texture and taste of strange seasoning. However, this could easily switched out for better sides, like the fresh and light roasted potatoes I tried from my friend’s plate.

Zoe’s offers a plethora of desserts baked in-store, and as a Griffin staffer, it was my journalistic duty to get the chocolate chip cookie. Not only was it nearly the size of my head, the chips within it were gigantic yet delectable, the whole thing crumbling and melting in my mouth with every bite.

The space itself was cute and comfortable, with a wide-open indoor seating area with long windows and neon décor, there’s also an option to sit in the leisurely outdoor section.

Zoe’s maintains a delicate equilibrium between great-tasting meals for relatively cheap prices.